Strategic Plan 2018-2021
This strategic plan maps out World Savvy’s planned journey from 2018-2021 and focuses efforts to strengthen our programmatic impact within schools and districts that make up our current service area, while strengthening the national network of educators who are committed to advancing global competence in the classroom. It also charts a course to explore impact beyond urban areas of the U.S., by engaging stakeholders in rural communities to build an ecosystem that supports global competence and inclusion.
From 2018-2021, we’ll focus on four strategic initiatives to accelerate our vision:
- Integrate World Savvy’s program model to drive whole school transformation.
- Lead innovation in the field of global education.
- Deepen and advance our capacity to evaluate and share our impact .
- Grow and scale our work in alignment with World Savvy’s 2030 Vision.
World Savvy’s programs work at three critical levels to integrate global competence into K-12 teaching, learning, and culture: increasing student engagement, expanding teacher capacity, and strengthening school and district leadership.
Who We Are
World Savvy is a leading national education nonprofit working to transform teaching, learning, and culture in K-12 education so all students can learn, work, and thrive as responsible global citizens. As an innovative education reform leader, World Savvy is deeply invested in ensuring that global competence is a defining characteristic of a quality K-12 education. Since founding in 2002, our work has reached 695,875 students and 5,165 teachers across 26 U.S. states and 12 countries.
We envision a K-12 education system that prepares students to graduate:
- Equipped to collaborate and cooperate as active citizens in more diverse, local communities.
- Prepared as problem solvers, poised to address future local and global challenges that are increasingly interconnected and interdependent.
- With the knowledge and skills necessary for future jobs in a global economy—as a robust, globally competent workforce.
World Savvy was co-founded by Dana Mortenson and Madiha Murshed, two friends deeply impacted by 9/11 in New York City. The weeks that followed 9/11 were marked by a sharp rise in xenophobia, which Madiha experienced firsthand.
In the months that followed, Madiha and Dana decided to turn their fear, grief, and passion into action by asking one question: how could young people in the U.S. be better prepared for a more globally connected, diverse world?
For sixteen years now, World Savvy has been working to answer that question by engaging schools, educators, and students across the country.
What is Global Competence?
Global competence is the capacity and disposition to understand and act on issues of global significance. Collectively, global competence represents the knowledge, attitudes, skills, and behaviors necessary to thrive in today’s interconnected world.