Global Competence Certificate
The Global Competence Certificate (GCC) is a first-of-its-kind online, graduate-level certificate for educators, to deeply integrate global competence into their teaching practice; includes a theory-to-action model of online coursework taught by experts from around the world, immersive global fieldwork abroad (Mexico + Kenya in 2021), and peer-to-peer collaborative capstone work to implement changes in the classroom/school/district. The total cost for the 12-credit program is split over 2 fiscal years and includes all tuition and fees as well as airfare from regional departure hubs for an 18-day global immersion experience.
GCC Framework and Course Options:
Consider broad systems and perspectives in an interconnected world. Two required courses (2 credits each):
- Introduction to Global Competence
- Dialoguing in Global Education
One elective (1 credit; can be substituted for a LEARN elective):
- Global Systems
Explore topics of major global significance for the 21st century. Choose two electives (1 credit each):
- Sustainability & Environment
- Human Rights and Global Competence
- Economic Globalization
Integrate Global Competence in classroom practice. Choose two electives (1 credit each):
- Digital Pedagogy & Global Competence
- Inquiry-based Learning for Global Competence
- Discussion Leadership for Global Competence
- Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment for Global Competence
2-3 weeks immersive experience to deepen learning. Past locations have included:
Apply key learnings to a Capstone project in a collaborative setting. Past Capstone projects have included:
- Trimester-long student project on migration
- Course to accompany study abroad for educators in training
- Global Health and World Perspectives course for urban high school
- District-wide global competency culture project
What Graduates Are Saying:
“The GCC is an amazing opportunity to learn with fellow educators and top-notch instructors who are passionate about global competency in education.”
"My GCC work gave me a unique combination of education, field experiences, credentials, and a network of committed educators passionate about global education."
“I have worked with my department to create curriculum, instructional strategies, and assessments that encourage leadership, empathy, and communication.”
Impact on Graduates:
grew in their understanding of core concepts of global competence.
grew in their commitment to global competence.
grew in their capacity to teach for global competence.